Layton police release details, ID of 3 suspects after Tuesday's standoff

Wednesday , January 10, 2018 - 5:10 PM

JACOB SCHOLL, Standard-Examiner Staff

LAYTON — The attempted robbery of someone responding to an online advertisement lead to three arrests and a five-hour standoff with police in Layton on Tuesday, Jan. 9. 

The Layton Police Department gave details on what lead to the standoff in a Facebook post Tuesday night. 

Police say the victim met two men in a restaurant parking lot around noon Tuesday to buy a phone that was listed in an online ad, the post says. 

The two men — who police say are 29-year-old Mitchell Tarbox and 20-year-old Hayden Woods — attempted to rob the victim at gunpoint. The two also tried to drive away with the victim in their car, the post says. 

The victim was able to break out the car’s window, escape and contact police, according to Layton Police Lt. Travis Lyman. After the victim escaped, the two men drove to Woods’ apartment a few blocks away, Lyman said. A standoff began when police arrived at the apartment.

RELATEDLayton Police arrest 2 after robbery leads to standoff

Tarbox left the apartment early in the standoff and was arrested, Lyman said.

A woman who lived with Woods and her two children at the apartment, who police later identified as Dezire Garcia-Bartz, 21, repeatedly denied that Woods was hiding in the apartment, Lyman said. 

Davis Metro SWAT first breached part of the apartment, found both children and arrested Garcia-Bartz. They later used a robot to search the rest of the apartment, Lyman said.

At about 6 p.m., more than five hours after the standoff began, officers went into the apartment again and found Woods hiding in a closet, Lyman said.

The standoff ended with no injuries and all suspects in police custody. 

Garcia-Bartz was booked in Davis County Jail at 5:54 p.m. Tuesday on an obstruction of justice charge, according to jail booking reports. Her bail is set at $10,500.

Tarbox was booked in jail at 8:33 p.m. Tuesday on aggravated robbery and aggravated kidnapping charges, according to booking reports. His bail is set at $44,680. 

Woods was booked at 10:22 p.m. Tuesday on similar charges, including aggravated robbery, aggravated kidnapping and interfering with an arresting officer. Woods is being held in jail without bail. 

As of Wednesday afternoon, all three are being held in Davis County Jail custody. 

In their Facebook post, Layton Police also reminded the public that they have a “safe exchange zone” in the Layton Police Department parking lot for anyone who wants a safe place to make exchanges such as the one that led to Tuesday’s standoff. The exchange zone is well-lit and is under video surveillance at all times.

These kind of exchange zones are also available in other cities around Northern Utah, including Ogden, North Ogden and Kaysville.

Contact reporter Jacob Scholl at or follow him on Twitter @Jacob_Scholl.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.